| Members' Area

 

Our History

Lanark Golf Club was established on the 4th of October 1851 making it the 25th oldest golf club in the world. At that time the course comprised only six holes, set out on the Common Moor, then owned by the Royal Burgh of Lanark. Unlike many of the early golf clubs the location of the course has never changed and golf has now been played on The Moor for almost 160 years.

In 1897 at a cost of £3 and 10 shillings (£3.50), Tom Morris (Snr) was employed to lay out 18 holes and in 1927 James Braid supervised the construction of several new holes to produce the basic layout which, with the exception of longer tees and modern bunkering, remains largely unchanged to this day. Testament indeed to the skill of these famous course architects.

Lanark is often compared favourably with the King’s course at Gleneagles, offering a similar moorland challenge set in wonderful scenic countryside. In 1920 the LSM Railway Company decided, only on the casting vote of its chairman, to build its world famous hotel at Gleneagles rather than Lanark.

From its beginning the Club has had connections with the Army. In early days the militia were encamped on what is today's practice ground and when Winston Barracks were built near by, a close affinity between the Club and the Cameronian Regiment was established. Recently the historic link has been celebrated by renaming the main bar as the Cameronian Lounge. Several of the Club’s trophies have been presented by the Regiment including the 1893 mess silverware, which as the Army Cup, is played for each year in the invitational foursomes competition.

In 1995 the Club purchased the course from the local District Council. Until then it had owned only the land on which the clubhouse was built.
In 2008 the Club’s constitution was altered to allow women to become full members.

The course record is 62 and is currently held jointly by professional Craig Maltman and amateur John Bauer of Lanark.

In 1951 the “Centenary Handbook” was published and in 2001 “Fifty Years On” celebrating the Club’s 150th anniversary. To read in-depth about the history of the Club, both are available in PDF format by clicking on the links in the right hand menu.